Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Last Week in Peru!

Family,
 
I found out a few days ago that I will be leaving the Peru MTC on Sunday morning.  This means that next time you all hear from me, I will be in Cochabamba, Bolivia!  It is about 5 days sooner than expected, but who is complaining, right?  I cannot wait to find and teach actual investigators instead of pretending to teach them.
 
This week has been more of a normal week.  We had Elder Bednar come and speak to us.  It was especially great because there were only about 60 people there total, because of all of the visa issues with Peru.  He told us that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to be with an apostle with such a small group.  Everyone could literally feel the spirit as soon as you walked in the room.  I cannot even imagine the things that he has witnessed as a apostle, so I knew he was speaking with absolute assurity when testify of Christ and this gospel.  When I went to go shake his hand, it was after he gave his testimony and the feeling was indescribable.
 
Elder Howlett and I taught Abraham last night, the Jehoviah's Witness security guard.  It did not go as we would have liked it to.  He started off immediately with the bible, and even brought his own bible, thinking it was a different one than ours, but it is not.  We spoke about Revelations again, and he explained his beliefs about the second coming and we listened and asked questions about it.  Eventually, the subject of the Book of Mormon came up, and I asked him if he had a chance to read it.  He made excuses, saying he was too busy working two jobs and did not have time. After, he started to go off on how the Bible is the only word of God, and there can never be any other book like it.  We then gave him Moroni's promise in ch. 10 where is says all he needs is an open heart, to read, and then pray about it and the Lord would give him an answer. After we said that, I started to bear testimony of the Book of Mormon, saying that is was the word of God and that it has changed my life.  Since I speak slower spanish, he interrupted me and changed the subject back to the Bible, which was frustrating.  At that time we could tell that all he wanted to do was bible bash, so we started to wrap it up.  I told him the only way he can know if it is true or not was to read and pray.
 
This is pretty much my first real person I have taught, so it was difficult having to swallow the fact that some people are not ready for the Gospel yet.  It has really helped me see how difficult this work really is though, but I can only imagine the joys of bringing others to this gospel.  Next week cannot come soon enough! Let me know what all is going on at home this week!
 
Elder Potts
 

No comments:

Post a Comment